Citizens United was a judgement passed by The Supreme Court in 2010. This decision further established the legal basis for the idea that “corporations are people”. This allows them to contribute to elections and sway the vote in their favor. Most Democrats have been fighting to reform this law ever since. They formed an organization in 2015 called End Citizens United.
* End Citizens United has a mailing address in Washington D.C. They also have supporters all over the country. New citizens join the mission everyday.
* The President of the group is Tiffany Muller. She is also Executive Director. She leads the group with grassroots efforts to get big money out of politics. During her first cycle as President she raised more than 25 million dollars for the organization.
* The mission of End Citizens United is to end big money in politics. Corporations can make unlimited and undisclosed donations to candidates. End Citizens United will push back by electing officials that support campaign finance reform. Grassroots efforts are being made to help change the national conversation and pass new pro-reform laws. We can all help their mission by coming out to vote this year.
* Efforts to target the Big Money 20 are ramping up. These 20 Republicans are the organizations top priority, because they favor special interests over their own people.
The Big Money 20:
-House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin
-Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas
-Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada
-Rep. Mike Bishop of Michigan
-Rep. Rod Blum of Iowa
-Rep. Mike Bost of Illinois
-Rep. Mike Coffman of Colorado
-Rep. Ryan Costello of Pennsylvania
-Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen of New Jersey
-Rep. Duncan Hunter of California
-Rep. Will Hurd of Texas
-Rep. Darrell Issa of California
-Rep. Tom MacArthur of New Jersey
-Rep Pat Meehan of Pennsylvania
-Rep. Erik Paulsen of Minnesota
-Rep. Rob Pittenger of North Carolina
-Rep. Dana Rohrbacher of California
-Rep. Peter Roskam of Illinois
-Rep. Claudia Tenney of New York
-Rep. Mimi Walters of California
* Fundraising efforts are well underway for 2018. End Citizens United expects to raise and spend 35 million dollars on elections this year. This will benefit the candidates they support. Most do not accept contributions from corporate PACs. Over 70 have refused corporate donations. Gary Trauner is one of them. They recently endorsed him for U.S. Senate in Wyoming. Dr. Hiral Tiperneni was also endorsed by End Citizens United in March 2018.
This organization has already made a positive impact this year. Candidates and voters overwhelmingly support the movement. This gives me hope for a brighter 2018.
Search more about End Citizens United: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/05/james-bopp-citizens-united/
We need to treat the cause not just the symptoms. Our campaign finance system has loopholes that allows countries like Russia to meddle in our elections. https://t.co/Y7d1g560ns
— End Citizens United (@StopBigMoney) March 20, 2018